The Top 5 Benefits of Body Pillows
Do you toss and turn all night long, struggling to find a comfortable position? Do you wake up with aches and pains in your neck, shoulders, or back? If so, you're not alone. Many people suffer from sleep problems, and one of the most common causes is poor sleep posture.
But there's good news! There's a simple solution that can help you get a better night's sleep and wake up feeling refreshed and pain-free: a body pillow.
Curious to learn how? Keep reading to find out.
What You Should Know First: Body Pillow Basics
Before we dive into the benefits, let’s get a refresher on what exactly body pillows are.
Body pillows are long, soft pillows that can be used to support your body in a variety of positions. They're especially beneficial for side sleepers, who can often experience pain in their shoulders, hips, and backs.
But, body pillows aren't just for side sleepers. They can also be used by back sleepers, stomach sleepers, and pregnant women. In fact, body pillows can be used by anyone who wants to improve their sleep quality and reduce pain.
The Top 5 Body Pillow Benefits
Body pillows are more than just a cozy place to rest your head. They can also provide several health benefits, from improved sleep to reduced pain. And who doesn’t want amazing sleep every night? So, here are our top 5 favorite benefits of body pillows: [1,2,3,4,5]
- Improved sleep quality. Sleep more soundly with a body pillow. Side sleepers—we’re looking at you. Side sleepers often experience pain in their shoulders, hips, and backs, so a body pillow is a great option. Office desk workers—we’re looking at you, too. Staying sedentary all day can take a severe toll on your back and spine. You can reduce annoying tossing and turning after a long day for easier sleep with a body pillow because it can maintain proper spinal alignment to help you wake up refreshed. Studies even show that body pillows have the potential to reduce snoring and improve breathing during sleep!
- Reduced pain. These special pillows support your body in all the right places. By aligning your spine, keeping your head level, and reducing pressure on the joints, body pillows are great for easing general discomfort and pain. For people with conditions such as arthritis, back pain, minor muscle issues, or those undergoing an injury recovery and even pregnant mamas, body pillows are great for relief from nagging sleep disruptions you feel could throughout the night.
- Better circulation. Body pillows are a great way to improve circulation and promote uninterrupted sleep. When you sleep on your side, your body weight can compress your blood vessels, which can restrict blood flow. This can lead to numbness, tingling, and pain in your arms and legs. A body pillow can help to keep your body in a more neutral position, which can help to improve circulation. By elevating your legs on a body pillow, you can also help to reduce swelling and improve blood flow to your lower extremities.
- Reduced stress. Body pillows can give a sense of comfort and security. If you’re a sleeper who loves to cuddle and hug, or you struggle with anxiety and insomnia, body pillows are for you. Create a "nest" around the body with your pillow to promote feelings of safety and tranquility while you rest.
- Enhanced relaxation. If you find it difficult to relax before bed, you might want to consider investing in a high-quality body pillow. Body pillows are just the place to rest your arms, legs, and head for enhanced relaxation.
If you have any concerns with your sleep quality or health, consult with your healthcare professional.
So, there you have it! The top 5 benefits of body pillows. If you're looking for a way to improve your sleep, reduce pain, and enhance relaxation, then a body pillow is a great option.
Suggested Read: Looking for more information? We’ve got you covered. Click here to read our blog that answers all your most-asked questions on all things body pillows.
Ready to shop, but not sure where to start? Here are a few tips to help you choose the perfect body pillow:
- Choose the right filling: There are a variety of fillings available for body pillows, including memory foam, down, and fiberfill. 100% polyester is the best choice for support, softness, and staying budget-friendly.
- Consider your budget: Body pillows vary in price depending on their fill, size, shape, and weight. You’ll want to make sure the body pillow you’re purchasing is within your budget and affordable.
- Think about the support you need: Some body pillows may only suit specific sleeping positions. Make sure the body pillow you buy is designed to fit every size and shape for ease of use and versatility, no matter your support needs!
- Consider sizing: There are so many different shapes and sizes of body pillows available on the market today. It can get confusing! You don’t want a pillow that’s too wide taking up all the space in your bed, or a pillow that’s too narrow that won’t offer you enough support. Check the dimensions of a pillow before purchasing it.
- Make sure it is easy to maintain: Most body pillows are spot-clean only. You’ll want to search for one that comes with a removable, machine-washable cover.
- Consider return policies and customer service: Some companies only offer a 30-day return policy or have a bad customer service reputation. Check out reviews of the company you’re buying from to make sure you’re getting the best bang for your buck.
It might seem like a tall order to now search online and find this body pillow that supposedly “does it all.” But, here’s the kicker - you can find that very body pillow right here.
Experience what it’s like to sleep on a cloud—this pillow is perfect for every body and designed for full-body support! Check it out for yourself:
✅Wallet-friendly & affordable.
✅Excellent customer service.
✅90-Day satisfaction guarantee.
✅Easy care & machine washable bamboo viscose cover.
✅Incredibly soft yet supportive polyester hollow fiber filling.
✅Standard sizing to fit every body—-measures 54” x 20.”
✅Hypoallergenic, cooling, instant pressure relief.
But the goodies don’t stop there! Click here to shop all of our high-quality premium home goods and start turning your house into a home.
We've gone ahead & enclosed a 10% off coupon below for you to use if you'd like to take the plunge and try out our sheets for yourself! To shop our collection & get 10% OFF Use the code 'BLOG10' at checkout.
Do you have a pillow you love and swear by? What kind of pillow is it? Let us know in the comments. The Cosy community always loves hearing from each of you!
- Park, Insung, Suzuki, Chihiro, Suzuki, Yoko, Kawana, Fusae, Yajima, Katsuhiko, Fukusumi, Shoji, Kokubo, Toshio, Tokuyama, Kumpei, Yanagisawa, Masashi, Satoh, Makoto. 2021/06/02. Effects of Body Pillow Use on Sleeping Posture and Sleep Architecture in Healthy Young Adults. 12. 10.17241/smr.2021.00878. Sleep Medicine Research. ER. https://www.researchgate.net/publication/352062958_Effects_of_Body_Pillow_Use_on_Sleeping_Posture_and_Sleep_Architecture_in_Healthy_Young_Adults
- Warland J, Dorrian J, Kember AJ, Phillips C, Borazjani A, Morrison JL, O'Brien LM. Modifying Maternal Sleep Position in Late Pregnancy Through Positional Therapy: A Feasibility Study. J Clin Sleep Med. 2018 Aug 15;14(8):1387-1397. doi: 10.5664/jcsm.7280. PMID: 30092890; PMCID: PMC6086963. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6086963/
- Ravesloot MJ, van Maanen JP, Dun L, de Vries N. The undervalued potential of positional therapy in position-dependent snoring and obstructive sleep apnea-a review of the literature. Sleep Breath. 2013 Mar;17(1):39-49. doi: 10.1007/s11325-012-0683-5. Epub 2012 Mar 24. PMID: 22441662; PMCID: PMC3575552. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3575552/
- Krywko DM, King KC. Aortocaval Compression Syndrome. [Updated 2022 Aug 8]. In: StatPearls [Internet]. Treasure Island (FL): StatPearls Publishing; 2023 Jan-. Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK430759/
- Stephanie D WilliamsLaura D Lewis (2020) Blood Flow: Supplying the sleeping brain eLife 9:e64597. https://doi.org/10.7554/eLife.64597