The Benefits of A Weighted Blanket
Are you prone to anxiety? Are you one of many that have exhaustingly long days at work? Looking for ways to unwind and calm down for a better night’s rest? Enter the weighted blanket.
How can a weighted blanket help with these things, you might be asking?
Keep reading to find out.
What Is A Weighted Blanket?
A weighted blanket is a research-backed type of therapeutic blanket, typically weighing between 5 and 30 pounds, that aids in stress relief and healthy sleeping habits .
With the power of deep pressure stimulation, weighted blankets can help relax the nervous system to replicate the feeling of being held or hugged to alleviate both physical and emotional symptoms .
Who can benefit from these weighted blankets? Let’s take a look at a few [1,2]:
Research has shown that weighted blanket deep-pressure therapy is effective in reducing physical symptoms of anxiety, like an increase in heart rate.
A 2014 study using weighted vests found that individuals experiencing ADHD had an improvement in attention, focus, and a reduction in hyperactivity such as fidgeting.
According to a study done in 2021, 94 individuals saw an increase in relief from their chronic pain after using a weighted blanket for one week, especially if they also lived with anxiety.
Insomnia and Sleep Disorders
Some studies have suggested weighted blankets have the power to calm your heart rate and breathing, and provide relaxation in the nervous system, making it easier to settle down for a better night’s rest.
4 Benefits of A Weighted Blanket
The best kinds of weighted blankets are wallet-friendly, straightforward, and help in the alleviation of anxiety while promoting tranquility.
What else can these blankets do? [1,2]
- Improve Sleep Quality - Weighted blankets are designed to give you a warm, comforting feeling. That’s where deep-touch pressure stimulation technology comes in, created by thousands of tiny glass beads evenly distributed throughout the fabric. This technology is believed to stimulate the production of serotonin and reduce the production of cortisol in the brain. Studies show a reduction in stress hormones like cortisol can increase levels of melatonin in the brain to help you sleep.
- Calm the Nervous System - Your nervous system is in control of a lot more than you might think! Research suggests a nervous system that leans toward hyperactivity can be the underlying cause of anxiety, stress, shortness of breath, and an elevated heart rate. Weighted blankets are crafted to counteract an overactive nervous system by distributing an even amount of pressure across the body and activating the relaxing parasympathetic nervous system.
- Ease Stress and Soothe Anxiety - Studies show the power of a weighted blanket isn’t just in its ability to improve sleep, but in its ability to promote calm and relaxation, too. Recent research suggests weighted blankets promote feelings of tranquility and reduce anxiety and stress.
- Provide Comfort and Security - Just like a warm embrace might make you feel safe and secure, a weighted blanket acts similarly. Through their evenly distributed weight, studies show weighted blankets allow individuals to feel a sense of security and feelings of snugness, promoting higher-quality rest.
Where Do I Get A High-Quality Weighted Blanket?
You can find your new favorite cuddle buddy right here.
Our Luxury Weighted Blanket was made with you in mind—to comfort and promote calm by engaging key relaxation pressure points. It’s a full-body hug, whenever you want. Our Cosy House Weighted Blanket also boasts:
- Bamboo Viscose Blended Material - You can be sure the material of your weighted blanket has an unmatched luxurious silky-softness and is hypoallergenic to repel common household non-living allergens which means it stays cleaner for longer — reducing the frequency of washing.
- Temperature Regulating - Our bamboo viscose blended cover insert isn’t just super soft, it has unique ventilation technology, too. Bamboo viscose is temperature regulating, meaning the material wicks away excess body heat and moisture for a cooler sleep every time.
- Extra Security - A weighted blanket should be durable and secure, which is why ours includes fastening loops, a reinforced zipper on the cover insert, and protective, individually sewn pockets made of rip and tear-resistant microfiber to prevent leaking.
- A Square Quilted Pattern Cover Insert - A square quilted pattern of the cover insert provides the even distribution of the glass beads (these beads are what make the blanket heavy) inside the blanket so you get the full effect of a big, warm hug.
- Easy to Wash - Your weighted blanket should have clear marks of easy care, and the Cosy House Luxury Weighted Blanket includes a removable cover that is machine washable and dryer friendly!
- Planet-Friendly - Bamboo is one of the fastest-growing renewable sources on the planet and uses less water than cotton.
What are you waiting for? Check out our Luxury Weighted Blanket today!
What do you think of our weighted blanket? Let us know in the comments below. The Cosy community loves hearing from you!
We've gone ahead & enclosed a 10% off coupon below for you to use if you'd like to take the plunge and try out our sheets for yourself! To shop our collection & get 10% OFF Use the code 'BLOG10' at checkout.
- Lockett, E. (2021, October 26). Weighted blankets: Benefits, do they work, and more. Healthline. Retrieved from https://www.healthline.com/health/anxiety/do-weighted-blankets-work
- Weighted blanket benefits. Sleep Foundation. (2022, March 11). Retrieved from https://www.sleepfoundation.org/bedding-information/weighted-blanket-benefits