7 Affordable Ways to Spruce Up Your Home
Does your home need a little pick-me-up, but you don't have a lot of money to spend? Not to fret.
We’ve compiled a list of 10 wallet-friendly ways to spruce up your home without breaking the bank—-and do it in style. Keep reading to get sprucing!
1. Paint a statement wall
A statement wall is a great way to add visual interest to a room. If you're feeling bold, choose a bright or contrasting color. If you prefer a more subtle look, go with a neutral color that will complement the rest of your décor. Keep these things in mind:
- Choose a color that you love and that will make you happy every time you see it.
- Make sure the wall is clean and dry before you start painting.
- Use high-quality paint and primer.
- Apply two coats of paint for best results.
- Let the paint dry completely before adding any furniture or décor.
2. Add some new artwork
Easily add personality and style to your home with a few pieces of art. You can find affordable artwork at thrift stores, garage sales, and online marketplaces. Or, if you're feeling creative, you can even make your own artwork right at home (DIY arts and crafts people, we’re looking at you).
When choosing artwork for your home, consider the size, color, and style of the piece. You want to choose something that will complement the rest of your décor and that you'll love looking at every day. Does it make you giddy just to look at it? Hang it up!
3. Switch out your pillows & blankets
Update the look of any room with a few simple accent pieces. Choose pillows in a variety of colors, patterns, and textures to create a cohesive look. You can also add throw blankets for a little extra oomph, warmth, and coziness.
Don’t forget—we’re going for cohesion. Remember that everything should complement the other elements in your living space.
Cosy Pro Tip: Need a new luxe pillow to upgrade your sleep oasis but trying to stay within your budget? Check out the Luxury Pillow from Cosy House. This plush pillow allows you to pamper yourself with its soft, hypoallergenic bamboo viscose case and indulgent, multi-layer design. Pair it with a 100% Bamboo Pillowcase, choosing from 10 beautiful colors, and create the perfect bedroom oasis that you’ll never want to leave.
4. Add some new lighting
Lighting can completely transform a room in terms of look and overall vibe. If your current lighting is lacking, it's time to upgrade. You can add new table lamps, floor lamps, or pendant lights to brighten up a space. You can also add string lights or candles to create a more intimate atmosphere.
Consider the size of the room and the desired mood you’re going to want to set. Keep in mind energy efficiency as well, steering clear from energy-hogging bulbs that will only cost you a pretty penny down the line.
5. Declutter & organize
Decluttering and organizing your home is one of the best ways to make it look and feel more spacious. Get rid of anything you don't use or need, and then take some time to organize the things you do keep. This will help to create a more streamlined and polished look.
- Keep the things you truly need or love. Start by going through each room in your home and getting rid of anything you don't use or need. To make this process easier, use two storage boxes—one labeled “Keep,” and one labeled “Donate or Toss.”
If you're not sure whether to keep something, ask yourself if you've used it in the past year or if it has a designated spot in your home. If not, it's probably time to get rid of it. Donate or sell the items you’re no longer going to use or keep.
- Get to organizing. Once you've decluttered, take some time to organize the things you do plan on keeping. This could mean putting things away in drawers, closets, or storage bins. It could also mean creating labels for your storage containers so you can easily find what you're looking for.
Keeping your home organized not only opens your living space and makes it more warm and inviting, but helps ease your mind, too. And who doesn’t want to feel relaxed in their own home?
- Hide unsightly items. We all have those big, clunky items in our homes that we need, but look as though they’re just taking up extra space. Hide them away from view and give your space a bit of je ne sais quoi while you’re at it.
For example, for your unsightly Wi-Fi modem and router, you can use a hollowed-out book to hide it. You can even place a vase of flowers on top to create a personalized display—no one would know the difference.
- Disguise what you can't replace. If there are any items in your home that you can't afford to replace right now, such as a sofa or a rug, you can disguise them with fabric. Cover a beat-up sofa with a throw blanket, or lay a rug over a stained carpet. No one needs to know.
6. Add some plants and flowers
Plants and flowers are a natural way to add color and life to your home. Not to mention that plants are mother nature's air filter. They improve indoor air quality by converting CO2 (carbon dioxide) into O2 (oxygen)----cleaner air, fresher home.
If you don't have a green thumb, don't worry. There are plenty of low-maintenance plants that are perfect for beginners, or you can always opt for some faux succulent plants or fabric flowers (less expensive AND less maintenance—we love that).
If you go the “real” route, make sure that you:
- Choose plants that are appropriate for the amount of sunlight your home receives.
- Choose plants that are the right size for the space you have available.
- Choose plants that are easy to care for.
- Choose plants that are safe for your pets to be around.
- If you're not sure what kind of plants to get, ask a nursery employee for help.
7. Get creative!
The most important thing is to have fun and be creative—it’s your house, your rules! There are endless possibilities when it comes to sprucing up your home. So, don't be afraid to experiment and find what works best for you.
Here are some simple ideas to help you get your creative juices flowing:
- Use old furniture in new ways. Turn an old dresser into a bookshelf or an old coffee table into a plant stand.
- Repurpose old items. Use old jars as candleholders or old magazines as coasters.
- Add personal touches. Display photos of your family and friends, or incorporate unique items that you've collected from your travels.
- Don't be afraid to mix and match styles. The key is to create a space that you love and that reflects your personality.
But the affordability and sprucing don't stop there!
Shop our high-quality premium home goods and start turning your house into a home. With our wide selection of home goods, you're sure to find everything you need to make your home feel like a cozy oasis. We have something for everyone!
And with our wallet-friendly prices, you can afford to transform your home without breaking the bank.
We've gone ahead & enclosed a 10% off coupon below for you to use if you'd like to take the plunge and try out our sheets for yourself! To shop our collection & get 10% OFF Use the code 'BLOG10' at checkout.
We'd love to hear your feedback in the comments. What are your favorite sprucing tips? How have they helped you to create a more cozy and inviting space? We're always looking for new ideas, so let us know what you think!