Summer Bedroom Cleaning Tips: How to Freshen Up Your Space for the Season
When you think of summertime, you probably aren’t thinking about cleaning. Let’s be honest—no one wants to spend time cleaning up when they could be spending it with family and friends instead. You want to tackle the mess that is in your bedroom and do more than just a “quick tidy,” but that balmy summer sun is calling your name. What to do?
No need to worry, because we’ve got just the thing. Below you’ll find our tried and true tips to deep-clean your bedroom and do it in a breeze so you can get to enjoying your summer vacation.
Why Should I Clean My Room This Summer?
You might be thinking, “I don’t need to clean my bedroom. I can just enjoy my vacation.” While it’s true that you’ve earned a well-deserved vacation and you should enjoy it, cleaning your bedroom during the summer months is more important than you might think.
- You are more likely to keep your windows open this summer. You’ll probably be letting that natural sunlight in this summer, but along with the sun rays comes an invitation for dust, pollen, and other outdoor critters and elements to come inside. If you’re not at least tidying or dusting your room, this could mean unwelcome surprises and lots of stuffy noses.
- A cleaner space means better sleep. Clutter is known to affect focus and general mental well-being. Ever noticed that the messier your space is the more stressed you feel? When you go to sleep, your room should be a relaxing oasis, not a stress-inducing mess. Suggested Read: You can find more information about how your bedroom might be affecting your mental health here.
- Your AC is probably doing overtime. It’s hot! Your air conditioner has got a lot of heavy lifting to do this season. However, more cold air pumping into your home might also mean more dust, pet dander, and other debris pumping in, too. Besides just cleaning out the AC regularly and changing your air filter, you should also be cleaning your space as these icky irritants can start to mingle with the air you’re breathing and settle onto surfaces.
- If your kids are home from school, you’re most likely in for a messier time. If you’re a parent, you already know that you’ve got more dirtiness to combat this summer. With the kids home all day (most likely running in and out of your bedroom or their own), you’re sure to have a mess or two popping up. Letting all that dirt and grime accumulate isn’t good for you or your kiddos.
- You’ve got the time! Summer brings with it longer days. You’ve got more sunshine AND more time to be productive this season. Why not do a little sprucing while you’ve got the daylight to do it?
Let’s Get Prepped: What You’ll Need
What do you need before you get started? We’re so glad you asked. Have these supplies on hand before you start cleaning and you’ll be done quicker than you can say, “Voila.”
- Your Cleaning Supplies. The essentials! You’ll want to have sweet-smelling, fresh cleaning solutions for your bedroom (no one wants a room that smells like chemicals or artificial fragrances), so get that natural clean with Multi-Surface and Window & Mirror cleaning solution tablets made from plant-derived ingredients, free of harsh chemicals and bleach. You’ll also need some towels, a vacuum cleaner with attachments, and a stepping stool.
- Toss, Donate, & Keep Boxes. When you begin to declutter, you’ll want boxes specific to donations/tossing and the things you want to keep to make organizing easier.
- Your Laundry Supplies. You’ll be stripping down your bed for a good washing, so you should have your laundry detergents ready to go. If you want to make cleaning day go by quickly, invest in Wool Dryer Balls. They reduce static, wrinkling, tangling, and drying time by 30%.
Clean Your Bedroom (& Do It Quickly)
Freshening up your bedroom is the perfect way to ring in the summer season. If you want to clean your space but save precious time doing it, this checklist will be a lifesaver for you this season (and every other season, too—it’s good for year-round use!).
Let’s get cleaning:
- Wash pillows (or buy new ones). Your pillows can build up some pretty icky irritants like dust and dead skin cells. Sometimes, what you truly need is a brand-new pillow that can resist these common non-living household allergens, like the Luxury Pillow. Pair that with Luxury Pillowcases, and you’ll enjoy better skin, fewer trips to the washing machine, and wake up feeling refreshed every morning this summer.
Pro Tip: Consider a Luxury Waterproof Zippered Pillow Protector for an extra layer of security for your pillows. This pillow protector has a breathable design for max airflow and acts as a shield to keep you, your skin, and your bed fresh and clean.
- Strip the mattress and flip it. Take your bedding and set it to the side. Flipping the mattress simply means turning it over, but if you want to know to properly clean your mattress, click right here. If you want to keep your mattress cleaner for longer (and increase the longevity of your mattress overall), you’ll need a high-quality Mattress Protector that ensures strong and durable protection.
- Refresh your bedding. Take the bedding and linens you set aside and toss them in the washing machine. If you want to say goodbye to stinky sheets for good, invest in Luxury Bed Sheets. These sheets are moisture-wicking and hypoallergenic, keeping your sheets cleaner for longer.
- Spray bedding with essential oils. When your laundry is finished and you’ve remade the bed, spray your clean bedding with Lavender Linen Spray to leave a soothing scent behind. Curious about making up the bed the right way? Click here to learn the nine seriously simple steps it takes to make your bed tidy.
- Pull out EVERYTHING. Grab everything in your closet and take it out! It’s time to reorganize and get tidy this summer so you won’t have to worry about it later.
- Put your toss and keep boxes to good use. Sort through your clothing and other miscellaneous closet items. Which ones do you want to keep? Which ones are old, worn, or never used? Put everything into one of the two categorized boxes.
- Organize by color, size, etc. Once you’ve finished sorting, put your toss box to the side (you can either donate these items, recycle, or toss them). Take your keep box and start putting everything left back into the closet. Organize these items according to your liking.
- Wipe and dust. You’ll need Cosy Cleaning Essentials for this one. You’ll also need some ultra-absorbent towels (not single-use paper towels—let’s remain mindful of our planet!). You can either use multipurpose Flour Sack Kitchen Towels to get the job done or grab some quick-drying Classic Cotton Kitchen Towels. Use your cleaning supplies to spray every flat surface and wipe them. This can include mirrors, table tops, bookshelves, lampshades, small crevices, and more. If it looks dusty or dirty, spray it!
- Reduce unnecessary clutter. Once you’re done wiping and dusting, take a quick look at what is taking up space in your room. If your nightstand and shelves are covered in random papers or unnecessary objects, store them in containers that can slide easily under your bed or in your closet.
- Vacuum vents and registers. Don’t forget about the nooks and crannies!
- Dust ceiling fans, clean them with a damp cloth, and rotate airflow. To avoid getting dust on everything you just cleaned, we suggest using an old pillowcase to collect the dust.
- First, turn off the fan. Use your multisurface spray to dampen the blades first so they’ll be easier to clean.
- Use your stepping stool to wrap the pillowcase around the blades. Press down on the pillowcase and pull it along the blade to collect the dust.
- Finish by spraying the blades with your cleaning solution again and wiping them down with a damp cloth.
- If your fan has a switch on the side that can change its rotation direction, flip it counterclockwise for summer.
Let's Simplify: Cosy's Cleaning Checklist
Don’t have the time to read through all of our steps? Not to worry, because we simplified it even more for you. Just download our checklist and save it for future reference whenever your bedroom needs a little TLC! Check it out:
Searching for more goodies to freshen up your home for a sparkly summer shine? Click here to find a huge selection of home good essentials to make your life, and your home, that much cozier.
We've gone ahead & enclosed a 10% off coupon below for you to use if you'd like to take the plunge and try out our sheets for yourself! To shop our collection & get 10% OFF Use the code 'BLOG10' at checkout.
What are your favorite products from Cosy House? Let us know in the comments below. The Cosy community loves hearing from you.
Happy Summer Season from all of us here at Cosy!
- Ferrari, J.R., Roster, C.A. Delaying Disposing: Examining the Relationship between Procrastination and Clutter across Generations. Curr Psychol 37, 426–431 (2018). https://doi.org/10.1007/s12144-017-9679-4