Moving into a New House? 5 Tips to Make it Less Stressful (Plus, a Cosy Gift Guide)
Are you planning to move this summer? If you are, you’re among the many! In fact, 80% of all moves in the US take place in the summer, with peak moving season occurring between April and September.
Moving from one house to another is exciting, but can be a stressful experience. But, by following a few simple steps, you can make the process much easier on yourself (and the people you convinced to help).
Keep reading to learn some tips and tricks for a simple and efficient move. Plus, we included a Cosy Housewarming Gift Guide full of cozy essentials to turn your new house into a home.
5 Tips for a Stressless Move
As we said, moving can be stressful, but it doesn’t have to be! Don’t get overwhelmed with the list of to-do’s, random half-packed boxes, and the endless clutter that comes with moving.
Follow these 5 tips to make your move go seamlessly!
1. Start Planning Early & Gather Your Supplies
The earlier you start planning, the more time you will have to get everything done. This will help to reduce stress and make the process go more smoothly. Dedicate time before the big move to create an action plan.
Here are a few things to consider:
- Schedule a moving date. Schedule at least two weeks in advance, but further in advance is best. This part also includes a couple of other moving pieces, such as canceling or transferring your utilities, changing your address, determining a budget, and deciding whether to hire movers, rent a truck, or do it yourself.
- Declutter. This is the perfect time to declutter! Why pack things you know you no longer need or want? Sort through your belongings and create piles for donations, items to sell, or trash.
- Get Packing Supplies. Now that you’ve decluttered, you have a better idea of the amount of stuff you have to pack. There are some crafty ways to pack your belongings (more on that below), but there are some staple supplies you’ll need. This includes more moving boxes than you think, packing tape, markers or labels, and possibly tools to help with the heavy lifting.
- Get Cleaning Supplies. This is especially important if you’re moving out of a rental (two words: security deposit). Leave your old home in clean, welcoming condition for the new tenants. A Cleaning Essentials Starter Kit can make this step a breeze.
2. Stay Organized & Pack Like a Pro
Packing is by far the most time-consuming part of the moving process. However, there are numerous organization and packing hacks to make this process a lot less stressful.
These few tips will help you keep your move as organized as possible:
- Create a packing list. This will help you keep track of everything you need to pack and in what room.
- Label or color-code your boxes as you go. This will allow you to quickly find your belongings when you unpack and put them in the room they belong in.
- Keep track of your belongings. There are many ways to do this, including using a spreadsheet, taking photos, or using a moving app.
Now, for the somewhat fun part—packing! And we’re here to help (virtually)! Here are a few tips to make this part go seamlessly:
- Pack an essentials bag. Only pack items you’ll need constant or immediate access to. This could include important documents, medications, chargers, toiletries, clothes, or anything else you’ll need.
- Use storage you already have. Leave clothes on hangers and wrap them in trash bags or use a wardrobe box. Keep clothes in your dresser and wrap them in shrink wrap so drawers stay put. Use your luggage for valuables or bulky items. Wrap breakables in towels and linens.
- Pack each bedroom’s bedding into its own boxes. The last thing you’ll want to do is sort through multiple sets of bedding to find matching pieces. Properly pack each bedding item, too. Pack pillows to where they don’t get flattened or lose their shape. Use vacuum storage bags for bulky bedding. Fold your sheets and keep them inside their matching pillowcase to keep them together.
Suggested Read: Check out our blog on Tips & Tricks for Storing Extra Bedding. These tips can also be applied to moving and keeping your bedding fresh.
3. Ask for Help
Sometimes it's hard to ask for help, but when it comes to the chaos of moving, try not to tackle everything on your own. Trying to handle everything on your own just adds to the stress of moving and will cause burnout. Having help can make the process go much faster, smoother, and can even make it fun.
- Ask for help from family and friends. Delegate tasks like packing certain rooms, being in charge of your lists or labeling, and having the heavy lifters do the loading. If you have pets or children that require attention, ask someone to watch them for a few hours so you can keep your focus on packing.
- Consider professionals for specialized tasks. If cleaning or organizing is not your strong suit, hire professionals to streamline the process. For extremely fragile, valuable, or large items, it may be easier to seek professional assistance rather than handle it yourself.
4. Dress Comfy & Take Breaks
This is especially true if you're moving in the summer peak season. During the moving process, you’re exerting a lot of energy and mental focus. And when it’s hot out, you’re bound to get exhausted much more quickly. Take breaks throughout the day to eat, drink, and relax in the cool AC.
Also, consider what you’re wearing for moving day. We suggest wearing loose, cool, and comfortable clothing. And luckily, Cosy House has you covered there with our Bamboo Loungewear. Our short sleeve top and shorts set is breathable, lightweight, and has moisture-wicking and temperature-regulating properties to keep you cool. They have a relaxed fit too, so no need to worry about tight clothing clinging to you or super loose clothing getting in the way.
5. Enjoy the Experience
Yes, moving can be stressful, but it is also important to remember that it is an exciting time. This is a new chapter in your life, so try to enjoy it!
Gather your friends and family to help you. Once the hard part of moving is over, have a last-night party with pizza and drinks, share some memories, and say goodbye to your old home.
The Ultimate Cosy Housewarming Gift Guide
Now that you’ve taken care of all the tedious moving tasks and you’re done, it’s time to relax and enjoy your new home! A new home is a great excuse to get some new essentials to make your new house a home.
Here are a few of our top Cosy House picks that can help make your new space inviting and welcoming:
Luxe Bed Sheets
Give your friends, loved ones, or even yourself the gift of a good night's sleep and a touch of luxury with Cosy House Collection's Luxury Bed Sheets. These sheets are an essential when it comes to comfort and style. Slipping into a bed made with these sheets feels like diving into a cloud! Not only are they incredibly soft, but they also come in a variety of beautiful colors and sizes to match any bedroom décor. Plus, they're made with premium quality materials, ensuring durability and long-lasting coziness.
Cozy Fleece Blankets
The Cosy House Fleece Blanket is the ultimate gift of warmth and comfort. These blankets are an absolute must-have for creating cozy and comforting spaces in a new home. Made with the softest fleece finish, they are like a warm, gentle, welcoming hug that wraps you up in pure bliss. Whether your friends or loved ones are curling up on the couch or adding an extra layer of warmth to their bed, these blankets are versatile and oh-so-snuggly. With a range of stylish colors and patterns to choose from, you'll find the perfect match for any home décor.
Luxurious, Supportive Pillows
After numerous days of packing, moving, and getting settled in, quality shut-eye and support are essential. And our Luxury Pillows are a game-changer when it comes to comfort and support for a good night's sleep. Made with premium materials, they provide a heavenly rest for tired heads. With their fully adjustable loft and plush feel, they cater to different sleep preferences and give your body some extra support.
Ultra-Plush Bath Towels
Give the gift of luxury and pampering. Our Luxury Towel Set is the epitome of indulgence and comfort. Made with high-quality materials, they are incredibly soft, absorbent, and oh-so-plush. Whether you are stepping out of a relaxing bath or having an at-home self-care day, these towels will make every moment feel like a luxurious spa experience. With their stylish designs and vibrant colors, they'll also add a touch of elegance to any bathroom décor.
Essential Kitchen Towels
Maybe not considered the most exciting housewarming gift, but they are definitely a necessity! Why not give a gift you know they’ll use? Our multi-use Classic Cotton Kitchen Towels are made with high-quality materials, they are not only super absorbent but also incredibly durable. Whether your friends or loved ones are drying dishes, wiping countertops, or needing a trusty cooking essential, these towels will be their reliable sidekick in the kitchen. With their classic designs and vibrant colors, they'll also add a touch of style to any culinary space.
But our home essentials don’t end there! Click here to shop all of our high-quality premium home goods and start turning your house into a home.
We've gone ahead & enclosed a 10% off coupon below for you to use if you'd like to take the plunge and try out our sheets for yourself! To shop our collection & get 10% OFF Use the code 'BLOG10' at checkout.
What moving tips do you swear by? What are some of your favorite Cosy House products that you think would make the perfect housewarming gift? Let us know in the comments! We love hearing from our Cosy Community!