Making Your Bed (The Right Way)
Your bed is starting to crease, it's untidy, and the sheets are always coming up off the mattress. You’re frustrated and at your wit’s end!
Good thing you found this blog. No need to fret any further.
We’ve gone ahead and researched nine simple steps to help you make your bed the right way. After reading, you’ll be able to avoid losing out on all that blissful slumber.
Where do you begin?
Start with a blank canvas first. We recommend investing in a good set of white sheets to work with any kind of decorative bedding. Plush, cozy comforters are also always a great option for a little bit more cloud-like softness, too, after you’ve put your sheets on. Before you begin putting on your sheets or any other bedding using our easy-peasy steps, make sure you have your mattress protector on first!
- First things first, you’re going to want to spread out the bottom fitted sheet and fit the corners around your mattress. A colorful flat sheet can add a bit of “spice.”
- Next, you’ll stand at the foot of your bed and spread a top sheet over the fitted sheet. The end of the sheet with the large hem goes at the head of the bed. Leave a small space between the top of the sheet and the head of the bed.
- Next, again at the foot of your bed, you will begin tucking the end of the top sheet between the mattress and the box springs. Ensure that the sheet is laying smoothly between the two.
- Then, you will make a hospital corner (click here to learn how) on one side of the mattress (at the foot of the bed). Grab and lift the draping sheet from the side, about 16 inches from the foot of the bed.
- Hospital corners can help your bed look more crisp and tidy - they will keep your sheets taut and secure. Investing in sheets that can fit mattresses up to 16 inches thick is also a great option for those who want to avoid hospital corners altogether.
- Tuck in the triangle-shaped lower drape between the mattress and the box springs.
- You're almost done! Hold the corner in place with your free hand and then fold the top drape over. You’ll want the fold on the top drape to form a 45-degree angle. Repeat this on the opposite corner of the mattress.
- Tuck in the sheet on both sides of the bed.
The Final Touches
- Last but not least, repeat this process with a comfy blanket. Then, put your pillows into their pillowcases and back at the head of your bed. Add your super-soft comforter on top. Layer with a cozy weighted blanket or a fluffy fleece blanket. You can go to town with throw pillows, vibrantly colored covers, and other various bedding options. It’s up to you!
- Smooth everything down for the final touches.
We've gone ahead & enclosed a 10% off coupon below for you to use if you'd like to take the plunge and try out our sheets for yourself! To shop our collection & get 10% OFF Use the code 'BLOG10' at checkout.
Leave a comment below if you’ve mastered the art of making your bed. What’s your favorite approach? The Cosy community would love to hear from you!
“The Art of Making Your Bed.” Beau Brummell for Men, beaubrummellformen.com/blogs/blog/the-art-of-making-your-bed.
Bazilian, Emma, et al. “How to Make Your Bed the Right Way, according to an Expert Home Stylist.” House Beautiful, 27 May 2021, www.housebeautiful.com/lifestyle/cleaning-tips/tips/a1478/bed-making-mistakes/.
“Learn Hospital Corners for a Crisply-Made Bed.” Lifehacker, lifehacker.com/learn-hospital-corners-for-a-crisply-made-bed-5342879.